Sunday, May 15, 2011

Reverend Shari marries 'em up good in the South Bronx


Those of you who know me, know that I have an excellent sense of direction. I even have a friend who calls me Rand McNally as a running joke. So was it the fact that I was busy talking to my trusty assistant, or the fact that I did not write down the exit number, or the fact that the South Bronx always confuses me...well, for whatever reason, I was a bit off track, when a handsome, young police man said "just follow me" and guided me to my location for K and T's wedding. My luck changed at that point, because I got a parking spot so good it was a shame to go home afterward!

K and T's wedding was in the Community Room of their building. Everything was decorated in yellow with a touch of green, to match the attendants' outfits. The room was transformed into what felt like a garden wedding, and the DJ had the music ready to rip. The couple looked stunning, the photographer was snapping, and the ring bearer...total cutie!

I followed the wishes of the bride and groom, and crafted a ceremony with some poetry, some Bible, and some personal stories. I switched back and forth between Spanish and English throughout, which suited the (mostly bilingual) crowd just fine. The couple met on City Island, one of my favorite stomping grounds, so I was sure to work that into the ceremony. Who was it who made the first move that fateful night? Let's hope the couple continues to debate this for many years of health and happiness to come. Best wishes to K and T!

No comments:

Post a Comment