Monday, June 29, 2009

Y and J: Reverend Shari performs a Spanish wedding!

Reverend Shari can marry you up good in Spanish.

Y and J were a lovely young couple, both of Dominican origin. They did not want to get married in church, but rather in the living room of their uncle's house. They wanted a ceremony that expressed blessing, but did not call on any particular God's name. Although both were fluent in English, some family members were not. They wanted the ceremony to be understood by all present, and so chose an all-Spanish wedding.

It was beautiful. The bride, the groom, the family, the friends--all were warm and welcoming. We filled the living room of the house to bursting, and I did the whole ceremony in Spanish. For a special touch, the bride and groom read a poem back and forth to each other (and I rested my tongue a minute).

Although my Spanish on-the-fly is a bit telegraphic (More beer! No touch! Need bathroom!) my prepared, rehearsed reading of Spanish is quite good. All assembled were impressed with "La Pastora Americana" and some even thought I actually grew up speaking Spanish.

I will admit to being nervous--I mean, Hebrew prayers are one thing, but Spanish? However, I set my intention, practiced, and it was wonderful.

So, now, Reverend Shari offers boda en espanol. Verdad!

No comments:

Post a Comment